Skip to main content

Cents for Seeds: How it works


Read Semmy's (left) story below 

Women in Uganda are the caretakers for their families. Our Cents for Seeds program provides a local woman with a 30 kilogram loan of seeds such as beans or sesame, as well as a hand held gardening tool, educational workshops and access to savings groups, empowering them to reinvest their earnings into food, education and health care. They also have access to savings and loans groups that enable them to borrow money for emergencies or larger household purchases.

The women then give back their loan of seeds at the end of their first harvest so it can be passed on to another like her, making it a sustainable project while reaching more communities. She can also elect to receive another loan the following year if she still needs to.

Here’s how Cents for Seeds has impacted Ogyang Semmy.


"I am called Odyang Semmy. I am 35 years old and I have five children. In 2012, my husband died from sickness and left me a widow.
I have been part of the program for five years. Last year, I received 20 kilos and harvested 65 kilos in the first rainy season (harvest was affected by drought) and 110 kilos in the second season. With my harvest, I kept some for food and a small amount to replant and sold the excess to solve some problems that came up in the home like soap, school fees and food.
Life before the project was difficult because getting food was very hard and there was nowhere to run to help with my hardships. Before I had nothing to sell to help with the unexpected problems. But now at least there is food in my house and I can have something to sell in times of hardship.
As a mother, this project has helped me so much because in the past I didn’t have any knowledge about agricultural practices like site selection and land preparation but now I have knowledge from the training and can do planting activities on my own. I am also able to pass this knowledge onto my children because they help me in the garden and I tell them how useful this project is.
As a widow, the project is helping me to take care of my children in terms of feeding and clothing them but it has also provided me with community. When my husband died, the women in the project came and helped me by giving me food and some even pooled their money together to help with the burial and general expenses. I have made many new friends through the project (even you!)
I want the project just to continue because otherwise I will have nowhere to run when things are hard. Please send my greetings and my word of thanks to all the supporters. You should not get tired of us women, even though sometimes there are hardships. Please keep us in your prayers."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kristina Health Centre Update

  Since October 1st 2012, the Kristina Health Centre (KHC) has been up and running and treating patients in Awake Village. In October there were 386 patients treated, and 329 in the following month of November. Prior to the opening of KHC, patients were required to travel in the best case, 5km and more likely 70km on foot for treatment when they were ill. The most common illness treated was malaria, followed by cold and flu, and pneumonia.  Monica's Story Last week, Monica, a four year old girl with fever, chills, sweating and restless was carried by her mother approximately three miles from their hut in Ogor village to KHC. Upon arrival, Monica was registered and then waited on the bench inside the Out Patient Department  room with her mother until her name was called. She was carried into a consultation room and examined by a senior clinical officer, Emmanuel Achar who recommended a blood test as he suspected she had contracted malaria. A drop of...

Update from our Sister organisation: Achon Uganda Children's Fund

Progress on the Kristina Clinic  Achon Uganda Children's Fund Board Member- Jim Fee with the Community Board members for the Kristina Clinic  An update from Jim: Julius and I returned home on Sept. 21 st from an eventful and successful trip to Uganda. We departed on September 10 th and spent 10 days in Northern Uganda. I am writing to provide you trip highlights. From Sept. 14 th through the 19 th we alternated days in Lira and Julius’ village Awake which is 42 miles NNE. Recent heavy rains prior to and while we were in Northern Uganda made the road from Lira to the village very difficult to navigate so the normal 1½ hour trip became a 2+ hour journey each way.  The road to Awake   Kristina Clinic construction in Awake village is progressing very well since our May clinic visit. Under the leadership of construction manager Patrick Ebyau and Julius’ brother Jimmy Okullo the living quarters are virtually complete save windows, doors, paint...

KONY 2012: Our Response

After the dust has seemingly settled on the overnight media frenzy that was "Kony 2012" we thought it a good moment to contribute to the mass of online information on the subject. Our aim in this post is to simply inform and empower those who have been moved by what they have seen in recent weeks, to be able to make wise choices about their response. Hopefully we can contribute to the conversation in a way that does not further dilute the real issues. There have been many criticisms of the Invisible Children campaign and video, from those who have chosen to unpick IC's financials, to those who have personally attacked the maker of the film Jason Russell. After the sad events of the weekend concerning Jason, we offer our best wishes and support as he recovers from what has clearly been an extremely draining and difficult period. I personally felt so overwhelmed and stressed by the huge media response that Love Mercy experienced two weeks ago, yet this was compara...