Skip to main content

Words with Heart

In celebration of International day of Rural Women this week, we have two guest bloggers who we will be featuring in honour of their work supprting rural women all over the world.


We asked Lauren Shuttleworth, founder and director of Words With Heart to tell us about her heart for rural women and her quest to support them...

 Can you tell us a little about who you are and what you do?

I'm Lauren Shuttleworth and I'm the Founder of Words With Heart - an eco-friendly stationery and printery social enterprise that funds women's and girls' education projects in the developing world. We sell a range of products including notebooks and journals, and more recently with the launch of our printery, custom business cards, greeting cards, invitations and more. Every product we sell funds a specific number of education days for women and girls. We partner with charities doing incredible work in this area, and currently fund projects in Sierra Leone and Cambodia.

Can you share with us about your experiences with rural women around the world?

 
I have had some experiences with rural women during my time volunteering in remote areas of Kenya and Thailand, although not as much as I would like. In Kenya I volunteered at a school, and so I built relationships with some of the female teachers. They were beautiful, warm women, who cared deeply about the children under their care. They laughed freely, but I also heard bits and pieces of their problems with their husbands, about demands that as I woman in the western world found shocking, but were quite normal to them. These women were also very entrepreneurial starting small businesses to make extra money for their family, making jewellery and trinkets to sell at the tourist market. I also saw how difficult it was for them to access and pay for healthcare - there were many hardships they had to overcome, and yet they still did it with such joy and generosity.

As a young woman in business, what does women’s empowerment mean to you? 
 
Empowerment is having equal access to the opportunities, education and resources as men do in business. So far in my journey I have found this to be the case, although our target market is largely women so I don't have as many difficulties as other women in business I imagine. I still face everyday sexism in my role, which sometimes makes things frustrating and difficult. I particularly recall a day where a male executive I was pitching to told me that I had a sexy voice - I was quite shocked and really angry. Being put in those situations as a female entrepreneur is difficult because of course you need to call out sexism when you see it, but it especially sucks when those actions then jeopardise opportunities.

What can we learn from other another as influential women? 
 
As women we can teach each other so much. How to step outside of gender stereotypes, to chase after your goals and dreams, however unlikely they may seem. How to stand up to injustice, how to find courage and inspiration when you need it. That anything is possible. I read an article this week on the rising consumer power of women and just what a force for economic change that is going to be in so many areas. It highlights that collectively as women we can transform the world.



Words with Heart products are available online and purchases will fund education for women in the developing world. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update from our Sister organisation: Achon Uganda Children's Fund

Progress on the Kristina Clinic  Achon Uganda Children's Fund Board Member- Jim Fee with the Community Board members for the Kristina Clinic  An update from Jim: Julius and I returned home on Sept. 21 st from an eventful and successful trip to Uganda. We departed on September 10 th and spent 10 days in Northern Uganda. I am writing to provide you trip highlights. From Sept. 14 th through the 19 th we alternated days in Lira and Julius’ village Awake which is 42 miles NNE. Recent heavy rains prior to and while we were in Northern Uganda made the road from Lira to the village very difficult to navigate so the normal 1½ hour trip became a 2+ hour journey each way.  The road to Awake   Kristina Clinic construction in Awake village is progressing very well since our May clinic visit. Under the leadership of construction manager Patrick Ebyau and Julius’ brother Jimmy Okullo the living quarters are virtually complete save windows, doors, paint...

Kristina Health Centre Update

  Since October 1st 2012, the Kristina Health Centre (KHC) has been up and running and treating patients in Awake Village. In October there were 386 patients treated, and 329 in the following month of November. Prior to the opening of KHC, patients were required to travel in the best case, 5km and more likely 70km on foot for treatment when they were ill. The most common illness treated was malaria, followed by cold and flu, and pneumonia.  Monica's Story Last week, Monica, a four year old girl with fever, chills, sweating and restless was carried by her mother approximately three miles from their hut in Ogor village to KHC. Upon arrival, Monica was registered and then waited on the bench inside the Out Patient Department  room with her mother until her name was called. She was carried into a consultation room and examined by a senior clinical officer, Emmanuel Achar who recommended a blood test as he suspected she had contracted malaria. A drop of...

KONY 2012: Our Response

After the dust has seemingly settled on the overnight media frenzy that was "Kony 2012" we thought it a good moment to contribute to the mass of online information on the subject. Our aim in this post is to simply inform and empower those who have been moved by what they have seen in recent weeks, to be able to make wise choices about their response. Hopefully we can contribute to the conversation in a way that does not further dilute the real issues. There have been many criticisms of the Invisible Children campaign and video, from those who have chosen to unpick IC's financials, to those who have personally attacked the maker of the film Jason Russell. After the sad events of the weekend concerning Jason, we offer our best wishes and support as he recovers from what has clearly been an extremely draining and difficult period. I personally felt so overwhelmed and stressed by the huge media response that Love Mercy experienced two weeks ago, yet this was compara...