Skip to main content

The little girl who could


Yesterday we had the honour of attending the 4th Annual Julius Achon Cross Country run in Okwang. I am lying under my mosquito net watching the sunrise while Eloise is out running for an hour and 45 minutes with Quinto, one of the students we have supported through our sponsorship program. I don’t even feel bad. 

I will let her tell you more about the race and the days events, but there is one story that I can’t wait to share. The thing I love about being here is the way that certain people can stand out in a crowd of thousands. I think it must be spiritual; that God gives you eyes for only one person in the ocean of bodies. For me yesterday it was a little girl who would have been 7 or 8 years old. She was in the opening race of the day. The P1 and P2 girls would run 2km, and those who finished in the top 32 were awarded a t-shirt. 

Most of the girls were in their school uniforms even though it was a Saturday, likely because that is the only item of clothing that they own. This one little girl stood out to me because she was the only one who didn’t have a shirt on. She appeared to be malnourished and was a whole head shorter than all of the other girls. My heart instantly broke. Normally scenes like that don’t really impact me, as harsh as that sounds. I tend to think of the bigger picture, and I am quite practical in that I would normally think, “well at least she is here, in her school shorts, having fun and enjoying herself.” This time something clicked inside of me. It might be because I’m a mother now and so I pictured her as my own daughter, standing there on the start line, disadvantaged amongst a group of the poorest of the poor.

We started to plan how we could get her a t-shirt before the race, but quickly realised that wouldn’t go down well in a crowd of almost 10,000 people who are all needy in some way. We just had to pray that she finished in the top 32.
I immediately underestimated her. She was tiny and she didn’t look healthy. The other girls looked like they had a much better chance than she did, and given that she had likely not eaten anything that day, I doubted she would even finish the 2km course let alone beat 100 other girls.

As I held my breath and watched her run, she blew me away. Boy, did she run! Julius said, “the poor ones are the ones who are motivated. She knew that she needed that shirt, so she ran.” Now not only does she have a shirt but she earned it for herself rather than have it handed to her out of sympathy. 

This is a timely reminder for me as we plan the next 5 years of our programming in northern Uganda. These people are hardworking, strong, and committed; they have unlimited potential. They don’t need a white girl to hand them a t-shirt, they need the opportunity to come and work for themselves, for someone to meet the gap in their lives, for them to achieve their best future. That’s exactly what we hope we can do. 

The shirt wore more like a dress!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update from our Sister organisation: Achon Uganda Children's Fund

Progress on the Kristina Clinic  Achon Uganda Children's Fund Board Member- Jim Fee with the Community Board members for the Kristina Clinic  An update from Jim: Julius and I returned home on Sept. 21 st from an eventful and successful trip to Uganda. We departed on September 10 th and spent 10 days in Northern Uganda. I am writing to provide you trip highlights. From Sept. 14 th through the 19 th we alternated days in Lira and Julius’ village Awake which is 42 miles NNE. Recent heavy rains prior to and while we were in Northern Uganda made the road from Lira to the village very difficult to navigate so the normal 1½ hour trip became a 2+ hour journey each way.  The road to Awake   Kristina Clinic construction in Awake village is progressing very well since our May clinic visit. Under the leadership of construction manager Patrick Ebyau and Julius’ brother Jimmy Okullo the living quarters are virtually complete save windows, doors, paint...

Kristina Health Centre Update

  Since October 1st 2012, the Kristina Health Centre (KHC) has been up and running and treating patients in Awake Village. In October there were 386 patients treated, and 329 in the following month of November. Prior to the opening of KHC, patients were required to travel in the best case, 5km and more likely 70km on foot for treatment when they were ill. The most common illness treated was malaria, followed by cold and flu, and pneumonia.  Monica's Story Last week, Monica, a four year old girl with fever, chills, sweating and restless was carried by her mother approximately three miles from their hut in Ogor village to KHC. Upon arrival, Monica was registered and then waited on the bench inside the Out Patient Department  room with her mother until her name was called. She was carried into a consultation room and examined by a senior clinical officer, Emmanuel Achar who recommended a blood test as he suspected she had contracted malaria. A drop of...

KONY 2012: Our Response

After the dust has seemingly settled on the overnight media frenzy that was "Kony 2012" we thought it a good moment to contribute to the mass of online information on the subject. Our aim in this post is to simply inform and empower those who have been moved by what they have seen in recent weeks, to be able to make wise choices about their response. Hopefully we can contribute to the conversation in a way that does not further dilute the real issues. There have been many criticisms of the Invisible Children campaign and video, from those who have chosen to unpick IC's financials, to those who have personally attacked the maker of the film Jason Russell. After the sad events of the weekend concerning Jason, we offer our best wishes and support as he recovers from what has clearly been an extremely draining and difficult period. I personally felt so overwhelmed and stressed by the huge media response that Love Mercy experienced two weeks ago, yet this was compara...