Skip to main content

Report from the Ground: Rachel Hardy

Rachel Hardy, International Studies in Development student is currently doing research in Northern Uganda for the Love Mercy Foundation for 6 weeks, and also for her thesis.

Here is some of what she has learnt so far... 


I thought I was prepared.

I had my camera for pictures, my notebook of interview questions, a pen, extra bug spray, sunscreen, and hand sanitizer. I bought a muffin, bananas and some peanuts at the supermarket for a snack, and Jimmy grabbed chapatti, mandashi and water. I hadn’t had milk that morning to make sure my motion sickness didn’t get the best of me on the rough and bumpy roads. I was well stocked, well fed and well on my way for my first interview session with the women of Awake (ah-WAH-kay) church. But I was far from ready.

Upon our arrival, a handful of women gathered to talk with me about Love Mercy’s Cents for Seeds program; the village was participating for the first year, and we wanted to get their feedback. At first, the questions grazed the surface of their situations:  
 Do you need more tools? What pests are you dealing with? 
 As the interview went on, more heart-gripping answers came. The women normally went for weeks without ever coming into contact with currency. Their crops were failing due to a lack of rain, and they were worried for their livelihoods and families.
I reached the question where I expected a barrage of answers: 
What more could Love Mercy do for you? As Jimmy translated the question to the women, I sat poised, pen ready to write what I thought would be a huge list of the obvious: more seeds, food, better shelter, clothes, shoes, school fees, HIV medicines, electricity, running water.
But they didn’t ask for any of those. 
They didn’t ask for a closer market. 
They didn’t ask for a bigger or better home. They didn’t ask for Internet, new shoes or fancier clothes.
There were a millions things they could’ve asked for—simple things, expensive things, things many of us only dream of getting ourselves. 
They simply asked for goats.
Goats.
Goats? What about chickens? Chickens are too risky without fences, I was told. Wild animals can easily kill them. A cow? The women initially agreed but then began murmuring amongst themselves. No, a community cow could cause tension and wouldn’t be a good idea. Tension? I was confused. How would access to milk and eventually meat for all be a bad thing? How was a small goat better than a huge cow?
The women explained that a community cow wouldn’t be the responsibility of anyone in particular, and if it happened to get sick, who would take care of it? And what if the cow happened to produce more milk for one person than the next? No, they decided; they didn’t want to risk tension and competition amongst themselves in return for a cow. A goat each would be perfect.
I was floored. Here were women who had to farm all day to simply exist, much less make any money at all, who had absolutely nothing materially, and yet their thoughts were communal. They farmed and weeded together; they went to church together. They would rather each have a small goat and maintain the relational ties in their lives rather than the wealth of a cow and risk their friendships. It was the exact opposite of the capitalist, competitive world in which I live.
At the end of my interview, I thanked the women for their time. One woman leaned forward and signaled to Jimmy that she had something to say to me. She began thanking me for coming, for caring, for helping them provide for their families. She was so thankful “my people” cared enough to come help the people of Uganda. She prayed God would bless my life for investing in Awake village and wished me safe travels back. She thanked me over and over. All I could think to do was return the thanks.
But what really could I say? Knowing that my very presence in Uganda meant I had more money in my pocket than she’d have in years, this woman asked that I be blessed. She wasn’t bitter towards our different circumstances; she didn’t resent the fact that I came from America and she from poverty-stricken Uganda. Her faith and heart simply wished that God would bless me for wanting to help her.
I was quieter on the way back to Lira; I couldn’t get over the grace, humility and strength the women of Awake church had shown. I rolled their words, their smiles, their concerns over in my mind. I played back the string of well wishes the one woman had bestowed upon me and fought back tears as I gazed out the Isuzu window. I had been prepared for the day materially but not at all emotionally. Bigger doesn’t mean better. Wealth doesn’t always bring happiness. Theses are truths I know, but the day’s perspective spun them in a new light. Not sure if I can chose God’s blessings for me, but if so, they are these: I want to see every situation I’m in—be it feast or famine—with a grateful heart and to be content with life’s needs rather than life’s wealth.
I want goats.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kristina Health Centre Update

  Since October 1st 2012, the Kristina Health Centre (KHC) has been up and running and treating patients in Awake Village. In October there were 386 patients treated, and 329 in the following month of November. Prior to the opening of KHC, patients were required to travel in the best case, 5km and more likely 70km on foot for treatment when they were ill. The most common illness treated was malaria, followed by cold and flu, and pneumonia.  Monica's Story Last week, Monica, a four year old girl with fever, chills, sweating and restless was carried by her mother approximately three miles from their hut in Ogor village to KHC. Upon arrival, Monica was registered and then waited on the bench inside the Out Patient Department  room with her mother until her name was called. She was carried into a consultation room and examined by a senior clinical officer, Emmanuel Achar who recommended a blood test as he suspected she had contracted malaria. A drop of...

Update from our Sister organisation: Achon Uganda Children's Fund

Progress on the Kristina Clinic  Achon Uganda Children's Fund Board Member- Jim Fee with the Community Board members for the Kristina Clinic  An update from Jim: Julius and I returned home on Sept. 21 st from an eventful and successful trip to Uganda. We departed on September 10 th and spent 10 days in Northern Uganda. I am writing to provide you trip highlights. From Sept. 14 th through the 19 th we alternated days in Lira and Julius’ village Awake which is 42 miles NNE. Recent heavy rains prior to and while we were in Northern Uganda made the road from Lira to the village very difficult to navigate so the normal 1½ hour trip became a 2+ hour journey each way.  The road to Awake   Kristina Clinic construction in Awake village is progressing very well since our May clinic visit. Under the leadership of construction manager Patrick Ebyau and Julius’ brother Jimmy Okullo the living quarters are virtually complete save windows, doors, paint...

KONY 2012: Our Response

After the dust has seemingly settled on the overnight media frenzy that was "Kony 2012" we thought it a good moment to contribute to the mass of online information on the subject. Our aim in this post is to simply inform and empower those who have been moved by what they have seen in recent weeks, to be able to make wise choices about their response. Hopefully we can contribute to the conversation in a way that does not further dilute the real issues. There have been many criticisms of the Invisible Children campaign and video, from those who have chosen to unpick IC's financials, to those who have personally attacked the maker of the film Jason Russell. After the sad events of the weekend concerning Jason, we offer our best wishes and support as he recovers from what has clearly been an extremely draining and difficult period. I personally felt so overwhelmed and stressed by the huge media response that Love Mercy experienced two weeks ago, yet this was compara...