Skip to main content

Uganda in my bones...


Uganda will seep into your bones, it will change you, regardless of whether you want it to or not.

It's been almost 3 months since our trip to Uganda.  Three months on, I still have vivid images of what we saw there. It's like along the way I took mental images of what moved me the most. Not surprising... It was my prayer before I left, that I would go and I would be moved beyond my own emotions, that I would see it as God does.  I can still hear the beautiful women from baa, singing for us in their church, this, our gift for running the cents for seeds program with them. As they sing I can still see the faces of the ones that bare the scars of the horrible atrocities that were carried out on them during the war. I only just learned of the terrible massacre that happened in that village just 5 years ago, when the LRA stormed into their homes and caused unimaginable pain and bloodshed. Peace has returned, but the scars remain. What amazes me most about  these women is their grace. To an outsider, the physical scars seem the only evidence of their horrible past.  There,  I remember watching these women worship, I thought "they are worshipping  and singing to God as if they have lived without pain"... then my heart corrected me... "they worship God as though they trust Him regardless of their plight." Ahhh perspective.  They are dignified in their dress, despite their lack, they take extreme pride in their appearance. I love this about them! There is a sense of empowerment that comes from nurturing and taking good care. We are planning a trauma counselling course with these women and all the men in their village. It's called "Empower". The course will run every weekend for a month and address the issues that can haunt someone after living through or witnessing a traumatic experience- like the massacre. Sounds funny but we're going to have a tea party to raise enough money to pay the trained councillors to facilitate the course in the village. I'm still amazed at what can happen when people band together for a cause, like a tea party!? What is that?... We rock up and eat delightful treats and drink cups of tea outa' pretty cups and chat and laugh with our girlfriends. And because of this frivolity, in the name of Love, a precious soul in Uganda can be set free... tea anyone?

           Eloise









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update from our Sister organisation: Achon Uganda Children's Fund

Progress on the Kristina Clinic  Achon Uganda Children's Fund Board Member- Jim Fee with the Community Board members for the Kristina Clinic  An update from Jim: Julius and I returned home on Sept. 21 st from an eventful and successful trip to Uganda. We departed on September 10 th and spent 10 days in Northern Uganda. I am writing to provide you trip highlights. From Sept. 14 th through the 19 th we alternated days in Lira and Julius’ village Awake which is 42 miles NNE. Recent heavy rains prior to and while we were in Northern Uganda made the road from Lira to the village very difficult to navigate so the normal 1½ hour trip became a 2+ hour journey each way.  The road to Awake   Kristina Clinic construction in Awake village is progressing very well since our May clinic visit. Under the leadership of construction manager Patrick Ebyau and Julius’ brother Jimmy Okullo the living quarters are virtually complete save windows, doors, paint...

Kristina Health Centre Update

  Since October 1st 2012, the Kristina Health Centre (KHC) has been up and running and treating patients in Awake Village. In October there were 386 patients treated, and 329 in the following month of November. Prior to the opening of KHC, patients were required to travel in the best case, 5km and more likely 70km on foot for treatment when they were ill. The most common illness treated was malaria, followed by cold and flu, and pneumonia.  Monica's Story Last week, Monica, a four year old girl with fever, chills, sweating and restless was carried by her mother approximately three miles from their hut in Ogor village to KHC. Upon arrival, Monica was registered and then waited on the bench inside the Out Patient Department  room with her mother until her name was called. She was carried into a consultation room and examined by a senior clinical officer, Emmanuel Achar who recommended a blood test as he suspected she had contracted malaria. A drop of...

KONY 2012: Our Response

After the dust has seemingly settled on the overnight media frenzy that was "Kony 2012" we thought it a good moment to contribute to the mass of online information on the subject. Our aim in this post is to simply inform and empower those who have been moved by what they have seen in recent weeks, to be able to make wise choices about their response. Hopefully we can contribute to the conversation in a way that does not further dilute the real issues. There have been many criticisms of the Invisible Children campaign and video, from those who have chosen to unpick IC's financials, to those who have personally attacked the maker of the film Jason Russell. After the sad events of the weekend concerning Jason, we offer our best wishes and support as he recovers from what has clearly been an extremely draining and difficult period. I personally felt so overwhelmed and stressed by the huge media response that Love Mercy experienced two weeks ago, yet this was compara...