Skip to main content

NOVEMBER, 2017 


At the beginning of the 2017, I expressed my interest in joining the trip in November.  I had seen friends go before, and I must admit I was slightly jealous. When I learnt that the fundraising amount was $5,000, I totally balked. I couldn't do that! I was a nobody! Not to mention that many people in my circle already supported Love Mercy, and I couldn't possibly expect them to give more. I didn't reply to Cait for a while, trying to process and work out if I could actually make this happen. 

One night, thinking and praying, I felt I just had to go. I could not miss this opportunity. Specifically in regard to raising money, I remembered that this was not about me, and that I should never put a limit on people and their generosity. Not. About. Me. This is about women, men and children on the other side of the world that needed me to give them a way to survive. No, not live, but survive. In a nation ravished by war and poverty that seeps into people's lives, tearing apart their will to live, integrity and covering them in a blanket of shame, I had to the opportunity to do something about it- and I sure would. 


Standing at the starting line to the City to Surf, I quickly checked my profile. It showed we had just tipped over the $2.5K mark. I was brought to tears, knowing that everyone who had given had done so in belief in me yes, but more than that, belief in Love Mercy. 


Fast forward 2 months and I was on my way to Uganda. As soon as I stepped onto that red earth I had the most bizarre sense of comfort. 

Love Uganda Team, November 2017
Over the course of the next 24 hours, I met around 14 other people who would become friends, bonded by experience and passion about the work of Love Mercy. 

I looked out the window for 8 hours on our trip to Lira Town in the North, the bumpy red dirt road stretching far ahead. The sights outside the van window never ceasing to amaze me - trees, schools, walking, people walking everywhere and the most blue sky turning fire red in the sunset. With 5 of us in the car, conversation was never in short supply. Soon enough, we had bonded over past experience, laughed about absurdities in life and expressed gratitude for our current. 


We arrived in Lira, excited. 

Post sunrise run (walk)




J
ulius and Eloise run each morning at sunrise. Being my stubborn "I can do anything" self, I thought I would give it a go. Let's just say I enjoyed a nice jog at the back of the pack, while two Olympians were miles ahead. I waved to passersby, listened to the frogs, and saw the streets of Lira wake up. 


The women in Barr Village welcomed us with open arms. They danced, sang, laughed and smiled. Then, we all sat and listened and we tried to understand just how much Cents for Seeds has changed their lives. 


Barr Village
My heart poured open. I was brimming, that full feeling of emotion you just cannot help. On reflection, the women of Barr Village expressed just how thankful they were that we had come, that we were in their home. They could not stop saying it. "Thank you for coming, thankyou. Tell your friends about us. When they know, tell them to come, come and visit us" 

I was blown away, for I thought that my own gratitude for being there was immense. It turned out to be incomparable. 


"My entire body is covered in sweat from our dancing, my calves sore form jumping, my hair wild and untamed and my feet red. I wouldn't have it any other way" 


We saw how much Cents for Seeds has changed these Women's lives. They wear bright colours, they smile. They have opportunity now, the ability to provide for their family, contentment and their joy overflows.


There are some things that I want to keep a surprise for you, so you can experience and write your own memory. One of those is the annual Julius Achon fun run. It was the most overwhelming, exciting, tiring exhilarating and fun day. Nothing will prepare you for the amount of faces you will see, each one living a life, hoping for a future.



Race Day

There are moments along the way that make it special. Morning Yoga at 6am, attempting to brew an Aeropress without a cap, burning someone's hand (sorry Simon- great idea at the tim
e though). Chapatti for the first time, overtired laughing, head nods, eyebrow raises, being covered in deet, dirt and sweat. 


Hearing Julius speak to his community and watching them listen in respect and love was moving. Julius longs for change, impact and empowerment, and you can see it in the way he speaks and carries himself. I was honoured to see him there, amidst his people he is so passionate about helping and listening to his not-so-easy journey in life. 

Jim's Mountain at Sunset

One moment I will never forget - we arrived in Awake Village, Julius' home village. The women gathered under the large mango tree in the centre, the only source of reprieve from the glistening Ugandan Sun. Children played around the outskirts of the mudhuts, slowly creeping closer to the big group of white people. We had brought with us Eunice from Barr Village, a member from the Cents for Seeds program. Many women sitting on the ground, the elders on plastic chairs facing the guests



We introduced our friend Eunice. One of the elderly women of Awake went to stand. She resisted. She went to stand from her seat again and then sat down. Went to stand, sat down. Soon enough, she couldn’t take it. She stood up, walked over and welcomed Eunice with loving arms, hugs. The ladies of Awake clapped, cheered. They welcomed her like one of their own. They loved her first, made her feel important. This display of community and love, acceptance was overwhelming, the tears were real, and I wondered- imagine if we had that courage here, in our everyday.   


The last part of the trip has to be a surprise. All I will say is the view of the Nile is one of the most stunning landscapes I have seen. I can still hear the hippos on water’s edge, marking their territory. Every now and then an elephant will come into view, the giraffes poke their head out of the trees, and the monkey swings from the branches. 

Almost like I wanted, I had been broken for this land, these people. I left vowing to stand alongside them in any way I could, to support, encourage, to speak life and hope back into my new friends.

In a turn of events, I am now the Fundraising Manager at Love Mercy Foundation.

If you can, go. Go to Uganda in November. You will get tired, emotional perhaps. What you will see will make you laugh and cry and everything in between. 

But I guarantee, your life will change.


Bec
X

























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am Strong

Tug of war with the boys  We began our second session - this time talking about "strength" in the harsh heat of the afternoon on Friday. We started with a brilliant demonstration of strength. We bought 3 yards of rope and  set up a tug-of-war. We started with two strong boys against each other, and then added  more and more people but only on one side. The game made everyone laugh and led to lots  of different teams: kids vs adults, girls vs boys etc. Andy began the session by stating "on our own we may not be strong, but together as a  team, we can be strong." this was a clear way to communicate a strong message of the  importance of unity. Then we explained that being strong is not only about having big muscles. Strength can  be on the inside as well as on the outside, and being strong means making good decisions. Andy used the example of two coke bottles. He took one and shook it very hard, then put another unshaken bottle next to it. He ask Bri

Love Mercy X Water for Africa

Love Mercy Foundation has been operating Cents for Seeds for the last 7 years in remote villages in Northern Uganda. On each of our trips, we could see the progression and improvement of our villages in a tangible way - the women and families had more food, they seemed happier, but we couldn't say for sure.  We did some pretty significant research in February to try to confirm what we had hoped- that Cents for Seeds was working. You can read the full report here BUT one of the key findings was that access to water has the highest correlation with levels of wellbeing in the communities studied in Northern Uganda. People who have to walk 10km or more (up to 3 times per day) have lower levels of Wellbeing. Which seems sort of obvious, but this means that, no matter how well the Cents for Seeds program is going, unless the community has access to clean, safe drinking water, the levels of wellbeing will not reach the highest point they could.  Enter.... Water for Africa.   W

August in Australia

Bump, Birth and Baby, Wollongong | August 4th  This event is all about empowering mums and women.  Bring your gal pals along and share brunch, while learning about the Get your tickets here Run Nation Film Festival, Sydney |  9 - 11th  We are so excited to announce that we are the Charity Partner for The RunNation Film Festival presented by Traveling Fit. A portion of ticket sales will go toward Love Mercy, so be sure to invite your friends along! Expo Level 4 of the International Convention Centre will hold the exhibition. Here you will get to meet with 100+ local and international brands & gain fitness and nutritional advice. Speakers - Real Stories |  Eloise Wellings  10am - 12pm | Buy your ticket  here . Our very own co-founder and Dual Olympian Eloise Wellings will join two others in sharing their inspiring stories of challenge and accomplishment. Don't forget to come say hi to Elzy on the day. Film Premiere - Tracktown 12.30pm - 2pm |    Get your