Skip to main content

Q & A with Caitlin Barrett


Continuing with our Mother's Day theme, Caitlin Barrett shares her experiences with us when it comes to balancing motherhood, study, and directing the operations of Love Mercy full time.


1. How did you get involved with Love Mercy and for how long have you been CEO?
I was the CEO from the day we started Love Mercy. Only now after 6 years have I started using the title and feel comfortable with it. It still makes me giggle… Eloise and I met in 2008 and both shared an interest in Uganda. I had been volunteering for Invisible Children, a U.S based organisation working to help rescue child soldiers. When I met Eloise, she told me she had a dear friend who was a child soldier himself. Later that year I met Julius and instantly knew that I needed to be involved in Eloise’s vision. She wanted to establish a formal way to help Julius in his dream to bring restoration to his home village of Awake. We met with a few other close friends and family members and formed a board of directors. I offered to take on the workload in a volunteer capacity, as I was studying international development at UNSW and felt compelled to put my knowledge into action. It all started from there and has grown incredibly since then.

2. Is it hard juggling family life with being CEO and studying a Masters at UNSW?
I finished my BA in in International Studies and Development, then went straight into my International Development masters. I have been working for Love Mercy almost the entire time I’ve been studying, and I love how I can practically apply the things that I learn at UNSW to my work the very next day. My daughter came along just as my masters began (she managed to time her arrival for mid-semester break!) so I have always had a lot going on. I gave up trying to find the perfect ‘work life balance’ and instead, tried to be present in each moment. If I am at work, then I am fully focused on the task at hand, whereas if I am at home, then I am a mum first and foremost (although I do still tend to struggle to not check my emails all the time!)

3.When & what made you decide that your career was best placed in the not-for-profit sector?
I always had a feeling that I was going to be a part of something new. I started my degree without any real idea of where it would lead to until I met Eloise and Julius at the end of my second year of study. I almost immediately decided that this would be my career path, and I still remember taking Eloise aside and saying something like, “I’m serious about this!” I love the flexibility that I have in the sector and enjoy being able to change and influence things that happen on the ground in Uganda without having to sift through reams of red tape. I feel like I am in the ultimate position in that Love Mercy is small enough to remain flexible and personal, but big enough to make a real and tangle impact in peoples lives.

4. What words of encouragement would you give to other individuals looking to start their own business or venture?
When we started, so many people that I really respected told me that they thought it was a crazy idea. They said it was too big and too difficult. I’m so glad that I trusted my instinct and went for it. The best thing you can do is follow your heart, but remember to ask for help along the way. I am at a point now where I need more help from others than ever before. I am learning not to be too proud to ask for help!

5. With regard to Love Mercy, what are your hopes and ambitions for the future?
We want to reach 28,000 women in our Cents for Seeds program by 2020. We need to raise $1 million to do that and I’m praying and hoping that by 2020 that the dream will be.

Thank you to our Media Team who have prepared these interviews. 

Comments

  1. How I Got My Loan From A Genuine And Reliable Loan Company

    Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs.Irene Query. I live in Philippines and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $150,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 2 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of$150,000.00 US. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs.Irene Query, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.


    1. Your Full names:_______
    2. Contact address:_______
    3. Country Of Residence:______
    4. Loan Amount Required:________
    5. Duration:_____
    6. Gender:_____
    7. Occupation:________
    8. Monthly Income:_______
    9. Date Of Birth:________
    10.Telephone Number:__________

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Us: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I am Strong

Tug of war with the boys  We began our second session - this time talking about "strength" in the harsh heat of the afternoon on Friday. We started with a brilliant demonstration of strength. We bought 3 yards of rope and  set up a tug-of-war. We started with two strong boys against each other, and then added  more and more people but only on one side. The game made everyone laugh and led to lots  of different teams: kids vs adults, girls vs boys etc. Andy began the session by stating "on our own we may not be strong, but together as a  team, we can be strong." this was a clear way to communicate a strong message of the  importance of unity. Then we explained that being strong is not only about having big muscles. Strength can  be on the inside as well as on the outside, and being strong means making good decisions. Andy used the example of two coke bottles. He took one and shook it very hard, then put another unshaken bottle next to it. He ask Bri

KONY 2012: Our Response

After the dust has seemingly settled on the overnight media frenzy that was "Kony 2012" we thought it a good moment to contribute to the mass of online information on the subject. Our aim in this post is to simply inform and empower those who have been moved by what they have seen in recent weeks, to be able to make wise choices about their response. Hopefully we can contribute to the conversation in a way that does not further dilute the real issues. There have been many criticisms of the Invisible Children campaign and video, from those who have chosen to unpick IC's financials, to those who have personally attacked the maker of the film Jason Russell. After the sad events of the weekend concerning Jason, we offer our best wishes and support as he recovers from what has clearly been an extremely draining and difficult period. I personally felt so overwhelmed and stressed by the huge media response that Love Mercy experienced two weeks ago, yet this was compara

Love Mercy X Water for Africa

Love Mercy Foundation has been operating Cents for Seeds for the last 7 years in remote villages in Northern Uganda. On each of our trips, we could see the progression and improvement of our villages in a tangible way - the women and families had more food, they seemed happier, but we couldn't say for sure.  We did some pretty significant research in February to try to confirm what we had hoped- that Cents for Seeds was working. You can read the full report here BUT one of the key findings was that access to water has the highest correlation with levels of wellbeing in the communities studied in Northern Uganda. People who have to walk 10km or more (up to 3 times per day) have lower levels of Wellbeing. Which seems sort of obvious, but this means that, no matter how well the Cents for Seeds program is going, unless the community has access to clean, safe drinking water, the levels of wellbeing will not reach the highest point they could.  Enter.... Water for Africa.   W